Respite is a planned, temporary placement service. Respite time can range from a few hours within a twenty-four (24) hour period to an overnight or week-end stay. Seraaj Family Homes, Inc.’s respite services can take the form of in-home or out-of-home service with trained respite parents/ family teachers and family support staff workers.
Benefits of respite care services include:
- Prevention of out-of-home placement.
- Stability of foster care placement
- Prevention of child abuse and neglect.
- Prevention of burnout or social isolation on the caregiver.
- Linkage of families with community resources.
- Dependability, consistently being on time, available when needed and responsible for carrying out tasks.
- A pleasant mood, sense of humor and positive outlook.
- Good judgment and common sense.
- Sensitivity, consideration and warmth displayed toward client/family members.
- Emotional stability and control.
- Flexibility, adaptability and resourcefulness.
- Skills to children in developing basic or independent living skills.
- Household management skills
- Able to provide a safe nurturing environment
- The ability to manage medical care routines effectively.
- The ability to manage challenging behaviors in children.
- Are single or married and can provide a safe a nurturing environment.
- Are at least 25 years of age.
- Are willing to work as a member of a professional treatment team
- Pass a physical examination, drug test and a criminal background checks.
- Pass a home approval process
- Complete the required training sessions
For more information, call your local Seraaj Family Homes, Inc. office.